Monday 1 March 2010

Things 9 & 10 - Social Bookmarking & Tagging

I have been a member of Delicious, the social bookmarking service recommended in the 23 things programme, for about a year now but admittedly my use of it has been rather sporadic!!

Delicious is a really useful tool, especially when you flit between numerous computers which I do. It makes much more sense to have your bookmarks saved in a centralised service which can be accessed from anywhere as opposed to tied to favourites on one particular PC. The one thing that really annoys me though is that when you click on a link, it navigates away from delicious. It would be much better if the link opened in a new tab!

I like the element of serendipitous resource discovery that comes with tagging! It allows you to find similar links to yours based on other people's tags. The downside of this is that there is no standardised terms and is very much based on individual opinion. There is a large margin of error for misspellings.

The network element of Delicious is useful as it means you don't have to search for a user each time you want to view their bookmarks. I added the Sainsbury Library to my network. Being able to switch between my own bookmarks and the library's makes it easy to access this links whilst at work! I think social bookmarking and tagging is one of the most useful Web 2.0 tools for library as it eliminates the need for messy useful links pages which are often difficult to navigate and update.

No comments:

Post a Comment