Friday 5 March 2010

Thing 12- YouTube

So thing 12...YouTube...the principle place on the internet to watch and share videos.
It's predominantly made up of user-generated content from individuals but increasingly organisations have been adding content to the site.

I wouldn't say that I was a regular user of YouTube, but I occasionally dip in and out. It's usually when someone has recommended something to watch or I've missed some sort of event in the news and the clips are on the site. I don't really have the patience to trawl through the thousands of videos just for the sake of it, I'd rather have something specific to look for.

I like the idea that libraries and universities are using the site as a marketing tool. The Said Business School where I work has a strong presence on YouTube Edu, offering interviews with alumni, videos about events and aspects of the courses as well as studying at the university in general.

I don't know how large the uptake for library based educational videos are but it's great to offer an alternative format of information to students, especially to those who learn visually.

Just to finish off, I've included a video of a really cute baby panda!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment