Friday 5 March 2010

Thing 11 - Podcasts

I've dabbled in podcasts before but they've never really held my attention so for the sake of 23 things, I've had another go.

There is a vast ocean of podcasts out there covering every subject imaginable. There really is something for everyone. I can definitely see the plus points of them.
I decided to subscribe to some of the BBC 6 music podcasts. The site was very easy to use and clearly linked to Google Reader so I didn't have to faff around finding out how to subscribe. As much as I enjoyed testing out the podcasts, I don't think it'll be something that I continue with! I already have enough to follow what with my google reader feeds and uni work, I think I'd struggle to keep up and end up with a massive backlog and ultimately I'd rather listen to music!

In terms of the use of podcasting in a library context, it's definitely a useful tool. It can be used for library tours, especially useful when readers have missed their induction or when people are joining throughout the year. I also like the Bodleian's podcasts as it's an excellent way of marketing the libraries and their collections and getting them out there in the public domain. This is something that should be expanded on.

No comments:

Post a Comment